What is the key to maintaining motivation?
What's the secret to waking up inspired and motivated every morning?
Sorry, there isn't a secret. No key to unlock our brains so we stay in a perpetually motivated state. It's normal to not be motivated 100% of the time, it's natural to not feel like doing anything 50% of the time. However, there are tricks to get yourself motivated. Below are the top ways I get myself off the couch and doing all those things I want to do but just never seem to have the energy for.
1. I don't sit on the couch until after 6pm. I don't turn the TV on either. A body in motion stays in motion.
2. I set it in front of me, in my way. If I want to workout, I set everything up so I have to step around it (I work out at home, but you could also put all your gym stuff in your way). If I want to do yoga, I'll just sit on the floor. Eventually I do a couple cat/cows and before you know it, I'm doing yoga. This works with work too. This laptop I'm typing on was in everyone's way on the table until I felt bad and pulled it to one side and started typing.
3. I set time limits. This works because you don't feel so overwhelmed to start whatever the task at hand is (I can workout for 20mins, 20mins is like nothing!). This is the same way I get the kids to do stuff, like homeschooling right now. We work for x amount of time and get x amount of break, half the time we get so involved with what we are doing we work through the break.
4. No Devices! No phone, tablet, TV, etc.. They are major time suckers. Vortexes that suck you in and spit you out 10 hours later like you're in Vegas.
5. Just start. Yes, it's that simple. Take the 1st step than another. Sometimes starting is the hardest part, but once you do, you start to build a little momentum and suddenly you realize that you can do this.
6. Lather, rinse, repeat. Chances are you may not feel so motivated all day or the next morning either. That's okay. Keep going, soon you will build new habits and some things will come easily and some things you'll still have to talk yourself into, but remember that's normal.